Welcome to Week 4 of our 5-Week RESET Challenge. I want to begin this week with a brief recap of what we are doing so far within each of the pathways to fat-burning.
Pathway #1: Nutrition
- Eat some combination of shakes/smoothies and carb-controlled meals everyday (high fat, moderate protein, low carb).
- Every 3-4 days, enjoy a carb feast meal of your choice then go right back to carb-controlled eating (and drinking).
- Avoid snacking between meals unless you are actually hungry, and if so, snack on a high fiber snack that includes fat and protein (ex: fruit and cheese, almonds and berries, hummus and veggies).
Pathway #2: Exercise/Movement
- Walk 5 days per week for 30 - 60 minutes to allow the body to start accessing fat for fuel
- Begin interval training 2 days per week. This can be as simple as turning your daily walk into interval training. Do this by warming up with moderate walking, then walking as fast as you can for 1 minute followed by 2 minutes of moderate walking then repeating for up to 10 cycles before cooling down. Ask your trainer about interval training workouts or attend a Zumba class!
Pathway #3: Sleep
- Get 7 - 9 hours of sleep per night
- Experiment with keeping your body temperature low at night by sleeping in a room at 65 degrees, sleeping in the buff, and under light covers.
- Avoid snacking and intense exercise after dinner so that you do not disrupt the body's most important repair and fat-burning work during sleep.
- Set a bedtime for yourself as a target and then work backwards one hour from that to set your "winding-down time". Create calming routines for yourself during this time, much as you would for a child.
- Avoid any caffeine after 12 noon each day.
Pathway #4: Detoxification
This week we dive a little deeper into detoxification.
If there is one idea we hope to deliver to you about detoxification it is that detoxification is not something we do for a week or a few days and then consider it done. Our bodies are constantly being bombarded by toxic stressors from our environment, food sources, medicines and/or products we use on our bodies, and even the amount of stress in our lives.
Our bodies need the appropriate micronutrients to support the never-ending cell turnover and all of the ongoing functions (including fat metabolism) that keep our bodies humming away as healthy, fat-burning machines. So, continuing to take your pharmaceutical-grade vitamins is imperative for your vitality and your waistline. You are most likely running out of your supplements and we should talk about placing a re-order if you feel that they are working for you. I would invite you to you stick with the CellSentials Mega Antioxidant and Core Minerals and add the BioMega fish oil, but after this program, we can choose to eliminate the Hepasil DTX or go down to one pill per night, which is USANA's suggested maintenance dosage.
Wondering what sets CellSentials apart from other multivitamins? The patented InCelligence cell-signaling technology is something you won't find anywhere else. Here is a little video explaining more.
Pathway #5: Stress Reduction
Oftentimes, I hear from clients that stress at work has coincided with a straying off track in the nutrition department. This is not a coincidence! When we are under high stress, our bodies produce more cortisol (the "stress" hormone), and cortisol tells our brains that we need fast burning fuel like sugar and carbs.
If you are finding that the cravings are happening when you are stressed at work or with family, take a moment and see if you can dial down your stress reaction. Jump outside for a short walk after a stressful meeting, take 5 minutes to meditate on all the good things that could happen to you today before you head into the office, or find a book that you can escape into before bed. Oftentimes, we don't make the connection between stress and making a less than stellar food choice. Emotional eating is real, but it doesn't have to be your experience.
Best of luck this week, and I will be contacting each of you to talk about re-ordering supplements and shakes as needed!
Here's to your health,