On behalf of the Committee and staff we extend our warmest welcome to all our families and friends, especially those joining us in 2015. We hope you all have enjoyed the summer break and let this New Year be filled with many wonderful adventures as we come together as one in our community.
We had a smooth start at Kinder and Playgroup last week as we began Term 1 with most of the children having settled in quite well. Well done parents!
2014 was a challenging year for our Centre with a lot of changes and thanks to our President Mr. David Haynes, we have established ourselves both from a Community development as well as a business perspective.
Quick Snapshot of 2014
Our 2014 activities include participation at Trinity Primary School’s "Kids do Matter Expo" on the 22 May 2014 under the leadership of Ros Porter. The purpose of this expo was to promote Oakgrove Community Centre and to encourage the local community to participate in our activities.
We hosted a Senior’s Day Event on the 8 October 2014 in collaboration with City of Casey’s Ageing Positively festival .The day was packed with fun filled activities including lunch and we welcomed seniors from our local community.
Our major success was the Kaleidoscope - multicultural festival sponsored by the City of Casey on the 15 November 2014. The response was overwhelming with the festival showcasing multicultural food, stalls and performers and created a family environment. Kaleidoscope brought together approximately 400 people of 12 different nationalities giving them the opportunity to share their culture. Visitors were treated to a program of cultural performances, arts and crafts, food and entertainment.
Oakgrove Community Centre is privileged to be nominated for a Casey Australia Day Award on the 26 January 2015 for its outstanding commitment in delivering exceptional services to the community.
Our milestones for 2014
- A new Web site and Facebook page:
Important Information to remember:
- Started Knitting group and ESL classes
- Art classes
- Monthly Market
- Strategic Plan – facilitated by Ros Porter
- First multicultural festival – Kaleidoscope
- Main hall renovated over the Christmas holidays, which is great news for hirers
- Installation of an air-conditioning system in our foyer just in time for summer
- New play equipment in the playgroup area
- All Kinder and Playgroup parents, please do not forget to send hats along with your children.
- The Centre is closed on Monday, 9 March 2015, due to the Labour Day Public Holiday and there will be no Kinder, Playgroup or regular classes.
New Programs in Term 1 (Please check our Term Guide or Website)
- Parenting workshops by Lucy Walls; a qualified psychologist and early childhood educator
- Spanish language Mini Immersion programs
- Adult Dance sessions
- First Aid Course on CPR Training
The Oakgrove Committee and staff are holding a "Welcome Barbecue" in March this year. The Barbecue is to welcome all new, existing and prospective families. This will be a family event with lots of entertainment for the children. Please watch out for more information regarding the date and time on our Website and Facebook page in the next couple of weeks.
A very big "thank you" goes to all parents who have participated, encouraged and supported us in everything we do. We look forward to working together this year with many new adventures.