More Braille! Master-classes, events and free Braille kit
Table of Contents:
- Every Monday at 19:00: Braille for Beginners
- Every Thursday at 18:00: Book Club
- Every Friday at 18:00: Open Forum
- Tuesday February 16th at 19:30 GMT: Using Braille as a Presentation Tool, part 2: Braille for Public Speaking
- Claim your free Braille equipment!
All events use UK Time. All our events are carefully moderated. None of our Zoom events have a password. To join by telephone from the UK call 0203 481 5240. To telephone from outside the UK consult this directory: https://zoom.us/zoomconference
Every Monday at 19:00: Braille for Beginners
An expert Braille tutor introduces the fundamentals of Unified English Braille using Fingerprint, a curriculum designed specifically for touch readers. If you would like to join us for this new course you will need to register here:
Zoom meeting ID: 841 9618 7503
There will be twelve sessions in total, running from the 11th of January to the 29th March. We will be learning the alphabet, common punctuation signs and some contractions. We highly recommend you buy a copy of Fingerprint from RNIB for £39.00 ex-VAT, either by calling 0303 123 9999 and quoting product code TC21439, or online: https://shop.rnib.org.uk/fingerprint-contracted-braille-course-volumes-1-to-11?TC21439. If you live outside the UK please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Every Thursday at 18:00: Book Club
A small community of readers come together to read a novel on their Braille displays, sharing hints and tips on navigating electronic braille along the way.
Join Link for Book Club:
Zoom meeting ID: 893 5322 0947
Every Friday at 18:00: Open Forum
An informal hour to chat with friends about whatever takes your fancy.
Join Link for Open Forum:
Zoom meeting ID: 848 9405 0254
Tuesday February 16th at 19:30 GMT: Using Braille as a Presentation Tool, part 2: Braille for Public Speaking
By Holly Scott-Gardner
If you need to deliver speeches for work, school, or as part of one of your interests, this session will guide you through using braille in order to present more effectively. This master class builds on the previous session, which focussed on using braille with existing presentation software such as PowerPoint and Google Slides, however it can also be attended as a stand-alone event.
In this session we will cover:
- Writing a presentation script.
- Using cue cards.
- Setting up the space to deliver using a braille display.
- Setting up the space to deliver using hardcopy braille.
- Suggested equipment and resources.
To register for this webinar, visit: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwoceivqz8rGtbEERfYGlXFSR2eIqx-oc9o
Claim your free Braille equipment!
By Ed Rogers
We believe every blind person has the right to the tools they need to read and write Braille.
So we're excited that we will once again soon be offering free Braille reading, writing and learning equipment for you, whether you're an expert or a beginner. If you are interested in attending a master-class, or have done in the past, then in exchange we can take your details to send you some of the kit below as soon as we have it back in stock. (NB: grant conditions currently limit this to the UK and Ireland.)
- A4 Braille frame.
- Samples of A4 Braille paper.
- 8-cell Braille word forming block (for learners).
- Tactile abacus.
For introductions to using this kit please see recordings of our previous master-classes: https://www.braillists.org/media/
To claim your equipment, or apply on someone else's behalf, email email@example.com or telephone +4420 3893 3392 with the following:
- Request which of the above to send and which not to send.
- Confirm that you or the recipient are interested in attending our Braille master-classes, by telephone or Zoom.
- Confirm the British or Irish postal address. As the package is too large to go through a standard letter-box, please give us directions as to where to leave it, should you not be in.
- You can keep kit as long as you like. However please confirm that this equipment will not be resold and that you or the recipient are happy to donate it to another Braille reader when/if it is no longer wanted (or post it back to the Braillists).
Postage dates depend on stocks so please be patient. For data protection reasons your address will only be held by our partner, Vision Through Sound and will not be seen by other Braillists members. If you are not from the UK or Ireland then you can ask on the Braillists' email forum for advice on similar resources in your country.
Copyright © 2021 Braillists, All rights reserved.
Want to change how you receive these emails? You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.